A week ago I bought myself a Nokia HS-26W headset. After using it a couple of days in the car I wanted to use it as a headphone. I found the bluetooth-alsa project which is exactly what I need.
I followed the steps described on the page, had a bit problems with the dependencies, but everything compiled and loaded succesfull. The test described on that page was the first sound i heared through my headset (at least coming from my laptop).
Now the real work…
Let’s try it with vlc (VideoLanClient), the first sound came through my laptop speekers, so I need to change the output module (Settings >> Audio >> Output modules). Off course we need ALSA. Now let’s select the device… only default is availble… refreshed a couple of times and “BT Headset: BT SCO PCM” showed up.
Wow… I heard my mp3 playing through my headset.
I directly noticed that playing music with a lot of beats wasn’t nice to listen to. Another song, without any beats, came through very well. I tested the quality when I went to another room, it dropped. When I was out of reach, the music off course stoped.
The btsco daemon was killed when I was out of reach, after restarting the daemon the music was back.